Assystem asked Handiamo! to arrange for its managers a disability awareness event at Roland Garros around the activity of wheelchair tennis on « Performance and Disability », with the presence of wheelchair tennis champions.
Aniek Van Koot (No.1 worldwide), Jiske Griffioen (No.4 worldwide) Michaël Jeremiasz (No.7 worldwide) and Nicolas Peifer (No.8 worldwide) participated in the event.
The event took place in three stages:
1) Practicing on the National Training Courts of Roland Garros
Assystem employees have been directly put into situation and were able to play tennis in a wheelchair.
The wheelchair tennis champions present explained the handling of the wheelchair as well as the specificities of wheelchair tennis.
Doubles were then organized. Teams were composed by a wheelchair tennis champion associated with an employee of Assystem, then two employees of Assytem against two champions.
A mixed double exhibition enabled Assystem employees to realize the level of play and performance achieved by the champions of wheelchair tennis.
This moment of exchange and sport had a very strong impact on the perception of disability that could have Assystem employees.
2) Conference at the museum of Roland Garros on « Performance and disability »
Assystem employees were able to discover and visit the Museum of Roland Garros which had been privatized for the occasion.
A panel discussion was then held in one of the rooms of the Museum of Roland Garros.
Many questions were asked to the wheelchair tennis champions such as:
– What difficulties have they encountered and how they were overcome for a successful career?
– How did they become more powerful than their opponents?
– The presence of two foreign champions (Netherlands), was used to compare differences in perception and treatment of disability in relation to France.
3) Dinner cocktail in the Davis Cup living room overlooking the Philippe Chatrier court
Testimony of Erwan Le Cornec, Head of the disability mission at Assystem :
« We asked Handiamo! to organize a disability awareness event for our managers. The listening skills, understanding and availability of the team helped making an event that perfectly matched our culture of business.
We had the chance to meet high-level athletes in a prestigious setting. Employees have all stressed the quality of the service and exchanges made during the evening.
We hope to mobilize other internal stakeholders during events conducted in the region.
This partnership has just begun … « .